Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Columbian Emeralds vs. Colombian Emeralds

Call me a perfectionist, but I have an issue to discuss with the general public. It centers around something that is near and dear to my heart: Colombian Emeralds. Please note the spelling, it is not Columbian Emeralds… They don’t exist. Now, I can understand how many would think the correct spelling for Colombia contains a ‘U’ because that’s what we’re used to in the United States, but it does not. I guess at one time I thought that it did as well, but after many trips to Colombia and after becoming an emerald dealer, I have to take a stand. So here it is. Here’s my stand.

Columbia is many things. A proposed name for the United States way back when, a city in South Carolina, a river in Washington, and an Ivy League university in New York City among others. What Columbia with a ‘U’ is not, is a country in South America that produces the finest emeralds in the world. Colombia with an ‘O’ is. Please make a note in your mental dictionaries so we can give Colombia the credit it is due.





Embassy Emeralds - Colombian Emeralds at their Finest

No comments: